Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 07:05 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaJane View Post
Hi, I'm new to this board, but old to neurotalk, having gotten much help from the peripheral neuropathy group years ago, and then the spinal group, when I had surgery. Now here.

I had a fall Christmas and broke my wrist. Dec 31 I had surgery to put a plate in my wrist, and decompress the median nerve in the palm just in case it was squished by all the swelling. (Surgeon said it was fine.). The surgery went well and I'm healing just fine. But..

i developed a burning pain in my thumb, where I had no surgery, and over the course of 5 or 6 days it increased to the point of feeling like a severe 2nd degree burn over the entire thumb. I already have a pain doc (or two), so I was able to call, and both thought it was early CRPS/RSD. I began Lyrica, which worked like a charm. The pain docs were really pleased that an RSD patient showed up so early, after not even a week of pain, and were optimistic that they could nip this in the bud. And the Lyrica worked so well, I, too, was optimistic. However, the Lyrica has given me a brain fog which is unacceptable. Let's just say I wasn't just unsafe for heavy machinery, I was unsafe for kitchen appliances. The main guy has now decreased the dose, and my head is clearer, but the pain is back. Not like a week ago, but not a happy pain.

The pain doc says that physical therapy is what stops this process. Really? I'm doing a lot of stretches and even strength for my wrist, but it doesn't seem to have an impact on the burning. Rubbing my thumb seems to substitute pressure for burning, so I do that. Light touch is a weirdness, a combination between feeling supersensitive and feeling like I'm made of leather.

So I want to mine the combined wisdom of this group: Can you help me stop this from becoming something chronic? I had a stressful day today, and clearly that's not helpful, so I did deep breathing whenever I remembered, but I need a clearer plan and sense of whether this can be stopped, and how, from fellow patients.

Also, the pain guys, both of them, would want to give me short course of steroids, thinking that could stop the march, but the surgeon says it will interfere with bone healing.

Thoughts? Does this sound like your beginning? Do you have a sense of people licking this thing with early intervention and how? I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

Forgive me if I don't reply for a day; I work.

Hi!

Lyrica is something they give you for the pain, but it is no "treatment" for it.

In the Netherlands they do the Dutch treatment: DMSO, acetylcystein, vit. C in high doses.

In Belgium they do this: calcitonin injections (early stages), and bisphosphonates for recalcitrant CRPS (if in later stages)

But all of this doesn't exist in the US, I'm afraid.

So you need to ask your pain doctor what your treatment options are. Sooner rather than later!

Good luck.
- chondromalacia patellae both knees
- RSD both legs (late diagnosis, almost 3 years into RSD) & spread to arms/hands as of 2008
CRPSbe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote