View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 01:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Surgery or Not???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild65 View Post
My friend has been having burning, tightness, tingling, frozen, etc in his feet for about 2 years now. He has seen docs locally and they've just given him lyrica and cymbalta which seemed to reduce the symptoms a bit but not much.

He went for a nerve conduction test and was told small nerve neuropathy, nothing we can do. He is not diabetic, his sugars have been up around 140 for brief periods of time, but mostly stay in the 120 range. He's tried brief bouts of chiropractic, laser and accupuncture. He's tried kratom, ALA, B12. No doc will really investigate what's happening. So he's justifiably frustrated.

He just went to CO to a Assoc of Extremeity Nerve Surgeons doc and after roughly half an hour the doc talked him into decompressive nerve surgery. Apparently the Hoffman-Tinel sign is the criteria for this. I've read up on this a bit and it certainly sounds promising, but I have to find a single "real" person relaying information on it. (plenty of doc office "testimonials" however).
I found one thread from a few years back that received no responses, so I thought I'd try again and see if anyone has either experienced it, knows someone who experienced it or has any knowledge whatsoever of it. The doc (anderson Podiatry) is scheduling him for 2 weeks out...

Thanks so much for sharing what you do... it helps...
I found info online about Dellon Institute. I contacted them and was referred to a surgeon in my location who was affiliated with Dellon. She sceduled EMG tests for nerve conduction which showed polyneuropathy, and doppler ultra sound for blood and oxygen circulation. I passed the ultra sound with flying colors, especially for my age. If I didn't she would not have done the surgery. All this was done with input from my primary care doctor.

I decided to do this because I have had Idiopathic Neuropathy for the the past 25 years. I learned to live with it without any meds by just eating healthy and taking vitamins. The past year I noticed pain in my left leg from the knee to my ankle ( the left leg is worse than the right). My PIN was always just my feet not my legs. I had the surgery 4 months ago on the left leg. The doctor told me it would take about 6 months to a year before we knew if the surgery helped. She also said it won't cure the neuropathy in my foot but I really think it's helping with the new pains I've experienced in my leg. I'm able to go up and down stairs without the pain I had before the surgery.

I've been to numerous different neurologists and had many different tests which nothing helped. I'm determined to live with the PIN without taking meds for as long as I can. Mine is worse at night but once I'm up, and put my Birkis on, I'm able to get through the day pretty well pain free. I don't sleep well but I welcome some cat naps during the day.

I believe the decompression surgery was my last resort, and I'm hoping it works. So far, I do have relief from the pain in my leg which is not neuropathy but compressed nerves caused by the PIN in my foot. I have an appt. in 2 weeks as a follow-up. There is still some swelling at the ankle but she told me the foot takes the longest to heal because it is the furthest from the heart. I know I'm stuck with the neuropathy in my feet but I'm happy to be rid of the pain in my leg. We are all different, and this is only my experience that I wanted to share.

It ain't what it's gonna' b
e...

It is what it is!...
Rosie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote