Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 02:17 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Hi and welcome! I too was diagnosed quickly after surgery, relatively speaking. Mine was approx 2 months after but the pain began immediately and was not at the surgical site so I knew something was wrong. I unfortunately used a lot of ice which I know now was a bad idea. For therapy focus on desensitization as well as mirror box therapy if you can try those. There are even YouTube videos on how to do both I believe. The mirror box did not work for me but it does work for some folks and is free and easy to try. Desensitization is really helpful for me.

You can also try injections - I did lumbar sympathetic blocks for my leg which did not work for me but do work for many. I think they have a version for arms/hands. I did PT as well including aqua therapy which all helped with my knee, where I had surgery, but not the CRPS pain. I tried laser therapy even before it was officially diagnosed when they were thinking it could be a hematoma - no relief from that either. I would try just about anything at this point.

What does work, for me (and again, we are all different which is very frustrating), is a combination of medications. I do lyrica (50 in AM, 100 in PM), Celebrex (100 2x/day) and hydrocodone (5/325) up to twice a day and tizanidine 2mg for muscle spasms. I also use lidocaine patches, heating blankets/pads and moderate exercise/activity to help.I find if I am moderately active I have less pain than if I do nothing so I go to water aerobics classes and walk 4 miles most days. I also rely on my faith and family to help me through it and try to do things to keep my mind off of it. I do mindfulness meditation and light yoga too. Basically, I just keep going...and you can too! If you have any questions feel free to ask away!
annabanana123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (02-11-2019)