View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 02:27 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Can I manage a new pet?

Just wondered if anyone had some advice. I am thinking about getting a baby rabbit I've had pet rabbits in the past so I am pretty experienced. The last few months have been very stressful. I got a rescue animal a beautiful little lop-eared rabbit but it ended up that the shelter had miserably failed in assessing her health. Somehow they had failed to notice that she was deaf and blind (she had a head injury) and although I took her to an excellent vet serious internal bleeding meant she had to be put down only 6 weeks after I'd got her. I've had to work through quite a lot of grief for her -she didn't stand a chance and I try and focus on the fact that at least she had 6 weeks in which she was so well loved and cared for - she died peacefully in my arms. That was on the 23rd of January.

I still really want to get another pet. A rabbit since I am a crazy rabbit lady. I've put a hold on a baby rabbit but I do have concerns about how responsible this is. I live with a severe pain condition and I live alone. I do have caregivers who could help if I was getting into difficulty but I still wonder whether it's ok to get another pet, one that will live for approximately 8 years. I'm only in rental accommodation so things could change at any time but the biggest issue is just physically managing to look after a house rabbit there's a lot more to it than many people might think. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm being selfish wanting to have another little animal friend when maybe I won't be able to see it through to the end i.e. if I became too ill to manage it. I don't mean this to be negative so sorry if that's how it feels I just wonder if other people have had concerns like this and how it's worked out for them? Thank you
indigo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote