Thread: Nearly 5 years
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 10:15 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperElectric View Post
It's almost five years since my self inflicted accident, and thankfully pretty much healed from the myriad of symptoms. However, consistent sleep still evades me, this week has been particularly bad, caused by being in the middle of stressful a house move!

I think the concussion has left me vulnerable to anxiety that seems to take over, so I'm finally considering going to the docs and asking for Amitriptyline to help with sleep despite being very anti drug use so far.
I advise against taking amitriptyline as this is an older, anticholinergic antidepressant that is likely neurotoxic. It is known to lead to mild cognitive impairment, unlike others which do not interfere with the actions of acetylcholine. A GP offered me that drug, but my instincts rightly led me to refuse the prescription.

I strongly recommend looking into 2 things:

1) Hemp oil - CBD helped me a great deal with sleep during the earlier parts of my injury, and is totally non-toxic. It works with the adenosine receptor system in your brain which is what actually regulates normal sleep, as opposed to the effects of certain psychiatric drugs. You will most likely wake up feeling rested and clear-headed without side effects.

2) Hyperbaric Oxygen - This helped me with sleep more than anything, even after the very first dive. It grows new capillaries in the brain, which is important due to the fact that the brain consumes more oxygen during deep sleep than it does while you are awake.

Hope this helps.
SilenceIsSacred is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote