View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

My pain mgt. doc said to me, one day, "You have CRPS. Opiods are going to be a part of your life for the rest of your life. Get over it."
That was it. That settled it in my mind....for me. From that day and until now, I don't do the "back and forth" in my head or with other people anymore. Period. Noone lives with the pain you are in but you. Allow others to sabotage the relief you get from your MEDICINE at your own peril, honestly.

I imagine if you close the subject with your family members, it will get closed, but it's up to you do to that.

This "war on opiates" was and is an irresponsible campaign, especially in the manner and context with which it is being presented. I am able to tell, right off the bat, who our more intelligent people (even doctors) are from how they discuss this. I argued with an Ortho surgeon (more for his benefit than mine, and in the end, I concluded that he was relatively shallow thinking, because he is sold out to the idea that noone should use opiates more than three days, period). My points were numerous, but most of all, this "campaign" failed to offer a suitable alternative BEFORE being waged. It also distorts the facts (pain patients are NOT the ones making up the numbers that make this so much of an epidemic). Also, for those of us living with severe chronic pain, without responsible treatment, many are ending their lives....is it worth it to take away their only resource and provide no real alternative "just in case" they overdose? NO! Its smart to give patients who really take enough opiates to worry about the anti overdose med, available at pharmacies without a prescription, and leave it at that! (That medication is called, I think, Narco, or something like that, but it's on every ambulance and should be in every home where there is even a potential for overdose, with pain patients).

I saw a doctor who was extremely conservative about pain medication and over a 2 year period, I got SO overwhelmed with living in the degree of pain I was living in, that I gradually became suicidal. I was dealing with severe pain, unchecked, and no matter what, one hour at a time, 24 hours a day, it got to the point that I could no longer take it. I then started daydreaming about dying, praying for the Lord to take me off this planet (I am a Christian), and eventually, when He wouldn't, and I got very close to doing something about it myself, I realized, I had to make a change. I just couldn't tolerate the idea that I was going to "off" myself, and talking to someone (ie: Therapist) was not going to deal with the root problem, which was, my pain levels were intolerable for me to co-exist with, and change had to take place.

I contacted my insurance company and was assigned a case worker. We got me in with another pain management doctor who gave me a prescription for the pain levels I was having that was much more suitable, and literally on the first day I took them, I realized that just underneath the surface, there was a type of hysteria going on with me. I immediately felt peaceful...and calmed, and with a clearer head, I resolved to never allow another doctor to have that kind of power over me again. I still want to take this matter up with the medical board and present that this doctor willfully watched me disintegrate as a person over a period of two years and with no compassion or batting of the eye, he allowed it to happen. Another thing that happened in tandem was that my CRPS moved to many new places on my body. Was it worth it? NO!

I have strong feelings after what I've lived through, and it was primarily because I allowed it to happen and didn't advocate for myself. It's all fine and good for others to share their opinion with you, but they aren't walking in your shoes, feeling what you feel, and frankly, what you believe you need to do for yourself is NOT their decision to make.
Set up healthier boundaries with others when it comes to this is my feelings. Others are allowed to tell me their opinion on things, and it is right for me to hear them out, but I reserve the right to make decisions for myself, and that's where the boundary is between myself and others.....even professionals in the field of medicine.
CRPSinSC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
annabanana123 (12-01-2020), Hotfeet333 (01-13-2020), Lash (10-15-2019)