Thread: Fasciculations
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 07:54 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch View Post
Hi Paul, I'm new here and I do have fasciculations in my calves and other areas, and I do have peripheral neuropathy, I'm 54. I'v only been diagnosed for a few months. I thought I might have ALS for a while and was terrified, so I can imagine your worry. But I've always had the occasional twitch, especially around the eyes, which is an unusual place to have twitches that are associated with anything serious. From my experience the twitching got MUCH worse the more I worried about it. Benign Fasciculation Syndrome is very common. Beware of Dr Google, it can be useful, but some search results can be quite skewed vs the likelihood of the condition.

How old are you? Do you have any other symptoms? Have checked with you doctor?
Hi Lerch--thanks for replying.

I'm the same age as you! Diagnosed with Idiopathic PN about 18 months ago. Initial symptoms = mainly paresthesia (which waxes and wanes) but the calf fasciculations began about 6 months ago and have never stopped.

The eye and eyebrow twitching has occurred for 3 months, daily.

I do agree that worrying and googling makes it worse--but, of course, with such an unpredictable condition it is hard not to worry. "What will tomorrow bring?" is a question that is always on my mind. I've been in a very dark place, distressed and depressed. However, I am now trying to take back some control and gain some peace and equanimity.

Have arranged to see my consultant--I'll update after visit.

Thanks for replying--sometimes this forum (though I'm grateful for it) feels a bit . . . quiet?

I take gabapentin but not sure it does much, tbh.

Cheers
Paul
PS do you take any medicines? do you have any treatment for your twitching?
Streetlegal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote