Thread: 38 and M.S.
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Definitely don’t walk away, I’m sure it’s extremely difficult to see any kind of light right now, but yes it should get better. First and foremost you need to talk to your insurance company and find out if they have a tiered program, some insurance companies won’t cover one medication if you haven’t tried a different one. In addition once you discover what medications your insurance will cover for treatments and I am assuming you are talking about MS specialty medications like copaxone or Tecfidera etc... that aren’t being covered, contact the drug companies all of them have copay assistance.

Insurance wouldn’t cover my first $5500 monthly rx charge for my Tecfidera but I contacted Tecfidera’s copay assistance and they picked up the whole tab... I paid $0. Those commercials that say if you can’t afford drug company might be able to help, is no lie. Call them!

Now if it’s an anti-depressant or something that insurance doesn’t cover Goodrx.com is another great resource. My insurance caps my migraine medication at 9 pills a month, and the copay is $30, with Goodrx I can get my full 18 pill prescription for $17. Cheaper than my insurance and I’m not suffering through migraines trying to ration out my pills.

Finally as far as ssa goes, you may have to find a lawyer, but I would call them again, talk to a real person, explain what is going on and ask what you need to do. If they can’t answer you tell them to get someone on the phone who CAN. That is one where squeaky wheels get the grease, I don’t have a lot of experience dealing with them as I was denied due to insufficient work credits and my DH making too much money, but I was able to get someone to explain it all to me and what steps I could take in the future should my situation ever change (it took 5 “please holds” but I got someone with a brain in the end)

The important part is don’t give up, do your research, talk with your doctor about your difficulties with insurance matching prescribed treatment, and for the short term if need be go see your local Salvation Army center and explain to them what is going on, they may be able to help you with your bills or auto repairs.

As far as the kiddos go, host a family meeting, explain what’s going on both physically, mentally and financially for you, and what they can do to help the situation. Just remember to be open to their struggles as well and what they need you to do to help them.