View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 01:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you for your post. I am over six years out and still face many of the same issues you face. I have not done OT for four years but thinking about going back to it to see if it could make a difference at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissylala View Post
Hi all! I have been in rehab for my concussion for 2 months. My car was hit by a drunk driver and totaled unfortunately but I made it out in one piece. Initially I had moderate expressive aphasia and couldn't do anything for more than 10 minutes. I have come a long way since then but I have been having issues with reading. Longer posts on here I can't even bother to read. I try to read instructions and can't really do it well unless its quick, bulleted lists.

I am working with an OT on my visual processing issues and have an appt with a neuro-ophthalmologist coming up next week. I do get eye strain and have light sensitivity. I know my eyes are not working well together because of some of the tests and exercises we have been doing. I can type ok but it takes me awhile. I can read quick easy things and take in the info easily.

I am most concerned about my job. I work in healthcare and it is very cerebral and fast paced. I read all day and look up dosages and healthcare info. I can't screw up. I know I am not ready to go to work yet. I'm just not reading and comprehending at the level I was prior to my accident.

I feel the I am able to do so many more things than I was last month. I still can't drive. I can socialize in very small groups, do anything around my house, go for quick walks, and even go into small stores and eat at a restaurant if its a slow time of day. Very different than I was. Fast paced and on the go a lot. I am doing better and thats what counts.

Anyone else with reading issues? What helped you the most? If you have a job like mine how did you adjust when you went back to work?

Any advice or links you have would be great. I'm fortunate to have a good concussion rehab team where I live but I really feel that I also need to talk with people who have been there.

Thanks-You,
Chrissy

*TBI with mild to severe damage November 2012 from car crash. Stroke with hemorage & 4 clots in veins in brain Feb/Mar 2015.

*Vestibular damage, PCS, hypercusis, severe visual processing and tracking issues, short term memory loss, headaches/migraines, occipital neuralgia, cognitive issues, neurological issues, brain fog, brain fatigue when over stimulated, twitching, vertigo, neck issues, nerve issues, PTSD, personality change, Since stroke left side weakness, rage, worsening of vestibular problems, recall, speech, memory.

*Can't drive or work. Have done occupational therapy, cognitive therapy, physical therapy. Learning work arounds, and strategies to be competent in daily life. Change your attitude/perspective changes your life. As TBI survivors this is a vital part of our healing and living.

*Working on getting to know and accept the new me.
Living_Dazed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Habu (02-18-2019)