View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 03:33 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

i read the article. i've made half hearted attempts on trying mucana so can't comment on it's affect. i find his claim that green tea is a l-dopa enhancer hard to believe, i perceive no benefit. what gets me is he states "These “carbidopa-like” and “entacapone-like” effects can be seen with green tea, and they are independent of their other neuroprotective benefits [57] so the tea is recommended for many Parkinson’s disease patients." - if this were true wouldn't the pd community of green tea drinkers have posted their beneficial experiences?. the article he cites is about 1 person.

i think mucana is ok if you are in a poor country and can't afford C/L. the one major worry i would have about using it alone is there are no quality guarantees on this product, you might not even be getting mucana or might be getting mucana spiked with l-dopa.

i find it strange that the article doesn't just recommend brands and doses and the reader will have to go thru trial and error to find what works.

i find this interesting that the mucana was cooked first in these african studies.
"I applaud the laudable deeds of neurologists who have opened clinics for patients in Ghana and Zambia where they have already served over 100 patients. There they cannot prescribe Sinemet because it costs a prohibitive dollar and a half each day per patient; meanwhile Mucuna pruriens grows spontaneously all around them. With the collaboration of the local authorities, they began to systematically prepare seeds of Mucuna (harvesting 12 different types) cooking them first to eliminate antinutritive substances.

They administered Mucuna without special extraction methods, although they could not integrate carbidopa, and have obtained the first results: the levels of levodopa in the blood increase, demonstrating that it is being absorbed [58, 59]. Patients improved although the system is so primitive that they suffered some side effects such as nausea, dry mouth, and orthostatic hypotension [59].

so should you toast mucana to inactivate possibly damaging enzymes?
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jeffreyn (02-24-2019), moondaughter (02-25-2019)