View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 11:57 PM
Member - formerly TT1234

10 yr Member
Member - formerly TT1234

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
These constant anxiety reactions are why I do not post much any more. I have better things to do with my time.

Concussion Anxiety Syndrome has become an epidemic in the last few years. I'm waiting for it to be listed in the DSM.

The movie Concussion appears to have been the trigger for many. I did not go see it. I knew about Dr Omalu long before most of the world even heard his name.

Anxiety.......................................
keeponmovin, this sounds to me like a typical minor setback, whether the cause was anxiety or the slight impact or both. I would not worry about it. Search a bit through past posts and you will find many similar incidents that resolved uneventfully. In two weeks you will forget this even happened.

Mark, we are all enormously indebted to you for what you have done for this forum, but I believe you are over-hasty in this case. Like you, I am all for giving no quarter to anxiety when it rears its head. Rumination is the way to the abyss. But it is no help to those finding themselves in such situations for the first time to say that they're not worth your time and should be filed away in the casebook of the APA.

I think attributing the recent rise in such posts to the movie "Concussion" is a wild leap. Wouldn't a more plausible hypothesis be that, as you would surely hardly deny, minor bumps can cause some transient symptoms, which anxiety can then magnify and prolong even when the original physical mechanisms are no longer in play?

Of course I will grant that media attention has probably had at least a small role as well. This is all sheer speculation, however.

I am sure I'm not alone in hoping that you will not forsake the forum altogether. It has not been the same in your absence.
Carrico is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote