View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 10:32 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Hi, Daniel. I'm pretty busy right now, but wanted to pop in to say something about the Mestinon tablets. They contain dairy. So if your wife has an issue with dairy/lactose, tablets might not work for her.

I use Mestinon Syrup, which has no dairy. There's also Mestinon Timespan. She may want to discuss those options (and costs) with her neurologist.

I'll come back when I have more time. I hope your wife is doing well.

Annie
Hi Annie,

Thanks for taking the time to pass along this valuable information. As so many adults (esp. post-menopausal women) have issues with Lactose, it almost seems like some sort of subterfuge using it as a filler in this way.

As Winnic1 brought to my attention, the Lactose filler may be a contributing factor. I haven't been on in a number of days as things have been very hectic, but I did bring it up with her doctor.

In the meantime, I got my wife to go back to a half pill (30mg) which helped her in the short-term. We conferred with her neurologist and now she is back to a full tablet with an added prescription for Hyoscyamine Sulfate, which is a common med for IBS.

Unfortunately, she just filled her script for Mestinon, so we'll have to wait a month before she can try the syrup, but I believe that is the way to go. Why have the added potential for Lactose problems if they can be avoided altogether? She is not a candidate for the time-release because she cannot swallow pills and needs to crush her pills.

We'll see how she does with the added med. - so far since going back to a full 60mg she has experienced less distress, but it seems to be bothering her a little more each day. I think the real test will be when we can get her on the syrup and hopefully not even require a supplemental medication.

Will keep everyone posted as to how it works out.

Many thanks,
Daniel
MGSpouse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote