View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 07:43 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Hi Atticus,

I have intermittent PN symptoms (tingling/burning/numbness in my feet and sometimes in my hands and mouth; also some motor symptoms in the past). My symptoms are usually pretty mild and they come and go, though I generally have something every day. The afternoons tend be worse. I've had these symptoms for at least 9 months at this point off and on. My neurologist hasn't formally diagnosed neuropathy, though I had an EMG/NCV test done last October which had mildly abnormal results (some distal latency in my sensory nerves). I'm also on the younger side for neuropathic symptoms (32 year old male).

In my case I've had subclinical hypothyroidism since at least 2012 (high TSH and normal T3/T4), and I think this could be the cause of my nerve problems (definitely don't know this for sure though... My nerve problems are still technically ideopathic). I've been taking synthroid for about 6 months now to try to level out my thyroid and have slowly seen some improvement in my symptoms. I've had a few +/- symptom free days in the last few weeks along with some flares.

I do think supplements can help with nerve symptoms. Lipoic acid in particular seems to help me.
Lonestar,

I had my thyroid tested back in June; all results for TSH and T4 were normal. I'm 41 (a bit older than you obviously) but all my bloodwork looks good. I even went to an endocrinologist and he couldn't find anything blood-related. I've been tested for everything so he found no need to test for anything more.

I take benfotiamine and Alpha Lipoic Acid too.

Isn't it amazing how good it feels when you're feet AREN'T burning? It's true freedom. And then in the afternoon (just like you) it flares up on and off for hours and it's all I can think about. And at work, I can't even take off my shoes/socks or raise my feet.

Stress and worrying about also exacerbates it.

I think the next time I see my neurologist he will run some tests. I believe in my case a skin biopsy will either confirm or rule out small fiber neuropathy. Large fiber neuropathy has already been ruled out.

Wishing you the best.

AF
AtticusFalcon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote