View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 05:44 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer View Post
Hey all,
I'm a long time lurker of neurotalk, this is my first post.

8 months ago had a moderate concussion, 2 weeks later I felt back to 100%. Regrettably I went out and had drinks with friends 2 weeks after concussion, full return of symptoms.

I've done lots of Vestibular Therapy, all sorts of supplements(Omega's, Magnesium, multivitamin, turmeric, and more)
8 months later I'd say I am 99% recovered. Very occasional dizziness, specifically with quick movements.

I have been talking to my doctor and psychiatrist about trying adderall or vyvanse. I'm a 21 year old senior in college, struggling to keep up in school right now.

My doctor seems to think it won't be a problem for me, but as we all know some doctors don't know everything, especially when it comes to concussions.

Anyone have experience with adderall, vyvanse, or any other stimulants with PCS?

I don't want a return or relapse of symptoms, but think it could really help me in school.

Thanks all
First, I would say avoid stimulants if you possibly can, because your brain is still developing (until age 25?).

Beyond that, my understanding is that Provigil might be the safest, followed by Ritalin/Concerta, followed by Adderall/Vyvanse. I believe of those three, your brain is more prone to permanently rewiring itself after extended use with Adderall/Vyvanse (which are the same thing, Vyvanse is just time released). For sporadic use, I find just 15-30mg of pseudoephedrine (sudafed) can work well for me.

Wellbutrin, while considered an anti-depressant is also stimulating. And in my case, Zoloft worked really well — it literally felt like someone flipped a switch back on in my brain, that had been shut down by the injury.

Everyone is of course different. Provigil is amazing for me, for a day at a time, but by the 2nd or 3rd day I get dizzy and loopy. Concerta was really phenomenal for 2-3 months (which is how long I’ve been on it) but seems to be losing its efficacy now. I haven’t tried Adderall/vyvanse.
MrT-Man is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote