View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 07:00 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Possible Alcoholic Neuropathy

Hi guys. I am new to this forum and looking for some advise. Over the last 5 years I have been experiencing weakness, numbness and hypersensitivity in my toes. It mainly happens when driving when putting pressure on the brake pedal and holding my foot on the accelearator for long periods of time and also when walking. I can hardly even stand barefoot as my feet feel really sensitive and weak when standing with no footwear, especially on hard surfaces. Also, lieing down without my feet resting on anything I get alot of tingling sensations in my toes and they feel very sensitive. I can't stand in the shower as it feels like my toes are so weak and like they are going to spasm, I have to have a bath instead

I used to drink heavily mostly 2 or 3 nights per week but over the past year I have tried to cut down and rarely exceed 6 units in a single week. The reason I decided to cut down is because a year ago, in addition to my usual symptoms, I noticed I could hardly walk the day after a night of heavy drinking. My toes in my left foot would go all stiff and feel really sensitive with every step. For days after the attack I would still experience shooting pains,weakness and hypersensitivity when walking even short distances.

Over the past year my symptoms have improved dramatically since cutting down alcohol but I still struggle a little. My doctor but me on amitriptilyne - whether thats the thing thats helped or the fact I have cut down alcohol I have no idea. But my doctors persist that my issues have nothing to do with alcohol even though I have explained to them that my symptoms have been worse the day after drinking heavily. I still eat ALOT of sugar and sometimes feel it is my substitute for not drinking alcohol. But I am thinking that proberbly isn't helping.

What do you think? Does it sound like I have alcoholic neuropathy? is the only way I can beat the symptoms by giving up alcohol for good, even the 6 or so units I drink per week? I do notice things improve when I don't drink as much. I have been feeling slightly frustrated because there a part of me that believes alcohol could be the cause of my symptoms but it seems really hard to get a diagnosis for this sort of thing. Doctors just say my blood test results were fine and I am not lacking any vitamins. They say I proberbly have a neuroma or a trapped nerve but I think there is alot more to this. Any advice will be appreciated. I have tried to explain my symptoms and the scenarios the best I can. Many thanks for reading.
UKGuy35 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Forthebirds (05-05-2020)