View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 08:14 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I wouldn't take Xanax if you don't need it. It is addictive. If you need it, take it. If you take it for a while and want to stop taking it, taper off of it slowly. Do it as slowly as you need. I recommend a period of six months to a year or more. Our anxieties are bad enough, and we don't want to make it worse. If you tell a doctor, he may do it drastically, and fast causing a mental health crisis. I have been through a doctor's cold turkey idea where I stopped taking a medication suddenly. I ended up drinking and was sick with anxiety. It was a much stronger medication for sleeping. I'm glad that I didn't die. I don't think that they do this anymore.

Just know it. You can taper off of it over a long period of time. I did this one time around 25 years ago. Then there came a time where I needed it again. What can you do? It's a difficult decision. Extreme anxiety is difficult to treat, and I hope that better medications can come about in the future.

Don't let anyone rush you off of your medications if you need to do it slowly. It's best to do it yourself. You can do it in a way that is comfortable for you. After all, doctors are human beings, and human beings make mistakes. Doctors have made many mistakes with me, and people have given me bad advice because they had no clue as to what I was going through. I sometimes go through hell with these anxieties and depressions, and sometimes people make it worse. People without horrible anxiety have no idea what we are going through. The only reason why I am still alive is by the grace of God.

Otherwise, take them as prescribed. Don't take more than are prescribed. That's when they stop working after awhile. BF
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (04-06-2019), BlueMajo (04-18-2019), Dmom3005 (04-06-2019), mymorgy (04-07-2019), OhKay (04-07-2019)