View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 03:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome UKGuy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33

I am a bit surprised that your doctor prescribed amitriptyline. It is a tricyclic antidepressant; I have never heard of it being prescribed in circumstances similar to yours. Perhaps you could discuss the reasons for the prescription with your doctor.

It is one of the possible tools in the toolkit against PN. I have taken it a couple of years back because I got reduced effect from the tramadol I was taking. So I tapered that down and started taking Ami. It does work, oddly enough, but the side effects were horrible to me, so after a few weeks I started tapering off again and went back to tramadol.

Some of the meds that are used with PN are antidepressants and/or anti-seizure meds of some sort. Lyrica* is now first choice for diabetic PN, but it's primary role is supposed to be an anti-seizure. Note that I tried that too, but it had nowhere near the effect amitriptyline had on me, and that is about 100 times cheaper.

* back in 2010, the neurologist who put me on Lyrica had to declare in writing that I also had a depression, and had tried all other meds, otherwise he could not prescribe it to me - no doubt a local quirk.
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote