View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 09:20 AM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member

Hi Bryanna!
Thank you for getting back to me.

The tooth that was operated on is crowned. Over the course of 10 last years or so it started to lean out of line. It also had a significant gum recession. So my dentist recommended the procedure of bone grafting and physically pulling the recessed gum down to cover the exposed upper part of the tooth. The tooth was not loose at the time. But x-ray showed a significant bone recession hence the proposed procedure.
I've since looked up the procedure on-line and saw that this surgery is usually done when the tooth is missing and the cavity that is filled with bone graft is covered by a membrane. In my case the tooth is still there and I struggle to visualise how the surgeon could possibly cover the graft with the membrane to prevent granules from coming out. As far as I remember after opening the gum, the membrane was placed in front of the tooth. The gum was then pulled down and sewn back into place. So there was little to stop the bone granules from sliding down into the gum. My gum looks very uneven now, with white dots not just over the operated tooth but over 5 other teeth.
I was going to get my front crowns replaced. But now I don't know how much longer I will have to wait for my gum to heal.
I haven't had a post-op x-ray done yet but I have made an appointment with a different surgeon. I hope he can get it done at his office.

Thank you again for all your help.
Warmest regards,
Tania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Tania,

May I ask... why was this procedure performed? Why did this area require bone replacement?

Just some general information....

Dental surgeons are called... Oral Maxillofacial Surgeons. This is the number one dental specialty of oral surgery and these dentists only perform surgery from something minor to highly complicated oral, sinus, dental and facial structure surgeries.

Periodontists are dentists that specialize in the health of the gums and supporting structures. They perform non surgical as well as surgical treatment. They do bone grafting, tissue grafting, dental implants, root amputations, some extractions, osseous surgery and different types of gum surgeries.

Endodontists only perform endodontic procedures limited to root canal therapy. Some also do surgical root canals which is called an Apicoectomy.

General dentists sometimes perform minor oral surgery procedures which could include tooth extractions and placement of bone grafts.

When you get the second opinion, be sure to see an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and bring your pre and post op xrays for proper evaluation.

Bryanna
DilaRoche is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote