Thread: Advice and PCS
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 10:40 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Hi Millie,

Sounds like a tough situation. On my end, I was struggling with a new concussion and PCS resurgence after a late January concussion. While I didn't have any financial issues due to the job benefits, I wasn't able to go to work and was deteriorating over the following two months - unable to drive, work more than a few hours a week, cook anything remotely complicated. I stopped seeing friends because I had trouble traveling, having conversations in restaurants, even having conversations one on one. I was keeping medical appointments (taking cabs), but was losing the ability to interact with the world around me without consequences.

After two months of slowly getting worse, and unable to properly manage my own care and recovery, my mom flew out on a one way ticket. I'm 35, I have a graduate degrees in science, had plenty of paid sick time, no wife/kids/pets/mortgages/responsibilities, and while only concentrating on recovery, I wasn't able to do it on my own. She started driving me to my appointments, sitting in on appointments, going to the gym with me in case my doctor-mandated exercise caused me to pass out (never happened, but was a real fear). It's now been almost 6 weeks with her here, I'm back at work a bit more than half time, and doing much better than I was. I don't know where I would be without that support, so that's my recommendation.
Waffles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote