View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontbeamelvin View Post
Posting a link to a scientific researcher that actually seems to really understand TOS.

Take notice, tight muscles are weak muscles. Stretching and massaging constantly will likely do nothing in the long term and can be bad without strengthening.

Also "down and back" shoulder position is very bad and he provides good reasoning for that.

Worth a read for anyone looking through here and trying to understand.

I hope the best for everyone going through this and that you may find your answers. I like to share any information I find.

Best.
Hey. you are correct about stretching. though in my experience stretching can allow you to develop a little bit of permanent flexibility in your neck which actually may reduce tightness, but it will never solve anything and also it has a great chance to provoke pain. so only moderate stretching from time to time is good.

Regrading strengthening - yes it can definitely help if your problem is atrophy. again, it will not fully solve the problem but it will reduce symptoms in the long term.

but here is something that is not mentioned in your article:

1) There are actually physical defects in some cases(like mine) of TOS where scalenes
invade places they shouldn't be on - could be on nerves or blood vessels. no exercise is going to fix it, ever. these defects can also do other things like cause pain since they are asymmetrical or sunk in.

2) not all cases are atrophy cases. read about hypertrophy which can cause tightness too. in that case
i doubt sport will help but it again will reduce some symptoms...
if you have athropy though - stretching + strengthening afterwards does help a lot. like in my case. but do not expect full recovery.

3) if you have an extra rib - forget everything you read in that article. any exercise can actually damage you.

again my good sir, in a lot of cases TOS can not be cured with sport. it will come back because the root cause is still there.
that is why im considering surgery, these defects can become far less severe afterwards if you have a genius surgeon.

Best thing for Tos is resting your neck properly... huge tightness relief. Buy a chair with arm + head r est and d lay down on it. Instant relief

Last edited by DarKnight; 04-30-2019 at 02:35 AM.
DarKnight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote