View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 12:45 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNgirl View Post
Hi, this is my first post, am totally new to this sort of thing. I started reading your posts over the last few weeks and decided I should join. You all have provided so much helpful information, very appreciated for the newly diagnosed.

I began having back pain and nerve symptoms last October, and after months of tests, was diagnosed in january through skin biopsy with idiopathic small fiber neuropathy. I have gripping pain in my feet and freezing burning pain in my feet, legs, torso, back and neck. My hands mostly just go numb periodically, mostly at night in my sleep. In the midst of this, in December, I had an extremely painful attack in my face which took me to the ER and was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. In hindsight, my doctors do not believe its that but somehow related to the rest. Have any of you had this connected to your trigeminal nerve?

I am taking 2700 mg of gabapentin, Tramadol, Nortriptyline at night, and just finishing 2 month trial of steroid infusions. None of it seems to help.

I have seen mention from a few of you about a smaller subset of non length dependent type of SFN, given my body wide symptoms, am wondering if I fit in that category. And if so, is this something to pursue that might lead to an identification of an underlying cause or different treatment plan?

Thanks for listening,
SFNgirl
Hi SFNgirl
I was taking Lyrica (same as gabapentin) for my nerve pain and it helped for a while then stopped, I wasn't prepared to keep increasing the dose so weaned off it under medical supervision. I'm finding that R Alpha Lipoic Acid (natural substance) is helping me just as well as the Lyrica was. May be worth a try, but make sure you get the one with R in name, the one without isn't natural.
Hope it can help you as it's helped me.
Tarlov Australia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote