View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi badpatch,

Based on your description, it sounds like the teeth that were extracted were in your lower jaw and they were next to each other. Correct?

When did the symptoms in the tongue start?
When did the teeth and gums start to feel sore?
When did the earache occur?
Did you have TMJ problems prior to the extractions?
What is your overall dental health status... do you have periodontal disease?
Do you smoke?

One of the first things to note is that all root canaled teeth are infected. Therefore, both root canaled teeth were infected at the time they were "first" root canaled and they remained infected even in spite of the second root canal treatment. Any long term tooth infection can lead to deterioration of the jaw bone which could eventually damage the surrounding tissue and nerves. Therefore, it can be difficult to determine if the current symptoms you are having are from the long term infection or the extractions. Actually, both the infection and extraction could be contributing factors.

Another possible factor for your tongue symptoms could stem from the actual injection of the anesthetic. There is always a risk of nicking a main bundle of nerves. The nerve irritation from an injection may or may not be permanent. Generally, it is not permanent if the nerves are healthy and not damaged from infection.

What did the dentist suggest you do regarding the symptoms?
Is the dentist an oral surgeon or a general dentist?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpatch View Post
I have 2 molar extraction 4 weeks back.Long story. they had root canal which failed so they did it again. the Doc ran away leaving his practice. went to new dentist and he said they can't be saved. I shouldn't have removed them. I regret it everyday.
When went for second appointment doc said they are healing nicely. but my tongue feels scalded/burning and my teeth feels sensitive . in the morning I am good but as is start talking during the day my tongue starts hurting and i have pain in the gum area. I have earache also. Pain increases after talking.
dr is thinking Nerve injury ? can these be symptoms of TN injury? Or TMJ?
I sleep at night almost ok. I have developed anxiety and depression. I am 42 year old female.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
badpatch (05-05-2019)