View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 11:33 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Hello,

You may check some of the stickies as far as doctors located in your area..

A couple questions for you.

1. Do you have a forward head posture?

2. Do you have rounded shoulders?

3. How is your shoulder blade mobility? Many TOS'rs have shoulder instability/winging scapula (can be minor winging, that may not be noticeable).

From what you wrote your symptoms sound like possible TOS.

Scapular retraction exercises will help, but the most common site of compression is usually in the scalenes or the pec minor. Dare I say that compression between the collarbone and rib is less common and these cases are probably more severe. The good news is that if it is soft tissue compression I would say that the chance for a recovery without surgery is much more possible. Lifestyle changes need to take place, better postural habits, better breathing habits (belly breathing), stress reduction is also key. Anything that over taxes the scalenes or pec minor can cause compression.

For self care;

Get a hard ball, like a racquet ball or lacrosse ball and look up videos on how to self release tight muscles. Once muscles are released, you need to work out the opposing muscle groups while holding good posture to retrain your nervous system to hold that posture in your daily life. Stretching is often BAD for TOS. If you continually stretch hypertonic muscles like the scalenes they can either pull up on the rib, or if they do actually loosen they can get even tighter when they go back.

Muscles tighten for a reason, the reason varies. Normally it is some kind of compensation that is going on in your body. It is up to you and your doctor's/pt to understand where the issue lies. Listen to your body, stay active, don't give up.

I wish you luck!
Dontbeamelvin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote