Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 AM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default Root canal filled tooth infection - advice

Hi

New member here - this looks like a great board for dental advice

I have a tooth that was root canal filled around 15ish years ago, it is an upper molar number 6, but sits in the place of 5 as I had both upper 5's removed for braces.

A few years after the root canal the tooth broke, so had to have a crown fitted.

The last few months I have had a sore spot on and off on my gum next to the tooth, and more recently a little spot/pimple there. No toothache though.

I visited the dentist today who took x rays and examined me and has recommended extraction of that tooth and then either an implant or bridge fitting. She did say they could try and re-do the root canal but she was not confident of the chance of success as the inflection is between the roots as well as at the root tip. A quick google shows the spot/pimple to likely be a fistula, though the dentist did not explain that, I'm pretty sure that is what it is.

From having a quick look through the board, extraction seems sensible as it seems there is chronic infection.

I have booked a dentist consultation to discuss implant/options but would love to have some input on what I should be asking to make sure I don't end up risking general health through a dental procedure.

I have a metal implant in my spine from a spinal fracture in 2016 so am really not up for getting a general infection of the body.

Thanks in advance
clare_1_2_3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote