View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymorgy View Post
I am going to ask her if I can take topamax as a mood stabilizer. I have to tell her for health reasons F@#k it she should know I an't afford to gain more weight.I can't take medications that cause weight gain. I can't take lamictal because it bothered my gums. She doesn't strike me as adaptable. She should know that I can't afford to gain weight. I desperately need to lose it. I gained so much weight on the medications. At 35 I was 128 to 130 pounds. I blew up on lithium that didn't work. All the other mood stabilizers
cause weight gain.

I thought that you had cognitive problems on Topamax, Bobby?

Geodon is the only mood stabilizer I can think of at the moment that doesn't cause weight gain, but I think that there are new ones out there that don't.

I was under 120lbs (I'm 5'8") when I started taking Seroquel and gained 50lbs!!! At my heaviest, I was 168lbs before I went on the South Beach Diet and went down into the 130's. I've been between 135-155lbs since then.
I am not overweight, but my pdoc doesn't want to prescribe me meds that cause weight gain. I don't know if it's just because I'm already on Seroquel, or what, but she just doesn't want to do it even tho my options are already so limited...

I would *think* that all of the pdocs you see would be very careful about not prescribing you meds that could cause rapid weight gain. But since that's not the case, you have to advocate for yourself. Before accepting another prescription, make sure you ask your pdoc if one of the side effects is rapid weight gain and/or tell her you won't take any meds with that side effect. They all know which meds have that side effect.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (05-18-2019), Dmom3005 (05-20-2019)