View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 05:13 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astern View Post
Being in one position for any length of time wrecks my day. Even if it's sleeping in a comfortable, supported position. If I don't move my neck, head and arms (ex: if I had a couple of cocktails and hit the pillow immediately after), it feels like I slept on a brick pillow! I have trained myself to move frequently - even if just a tiny bit - all thru the day and night.

Wearing a bra is very painful. Vacuuming, cleaning the shower or windows (or any arm outstretched movements) wrecks me for a day or two. Using my computer for more than 20min makes me nauseous.

Lurking, due to online stalkers.
A.
I would say my overall comfort has improved as my posture has been improving. Computer work does suck.. I still work and an in front of a computer for the vast majority of my work day. Actually the worst thing for me though is using my cell phone especially if I am looking down. I think this is quite possibly the absolute worst thing to do to make symptoms worse. Your whole body rotates inwardly and your neck is looking down. This narrows the space in both the scalene triangle and the pec minor area is shortened.

I am feeling that if I continue training my shoulder stability and deep neck muscles, along with avoiding looking down at the cell phone and excessive computer work I can slowly reverse my TOS. This is my hope. I've been doing PT since about the beginning of January 2019. Twice a week until recently, now 1 time a week. It's a constant thing that I think about my posture now, I recognize when I am slumped over, and try to recognize my breathing as well.

I've learned to utilize stretching and my own bit of soft tissue work on a daily basis as needed.

One thing I am going to ask my PT next time is to dry needle a lot around my neck area, whatever she can get it and also try and mobilize my top rib.

Actually sleeping is the most comfortable thing for me. I usually take my affected arm and lay it straight out from me and I turn my head to the left. I lay on my back. This allows my scalenes on the bad side to slightly stretch and open up, and my arm is extended out to open up the area around pec minor.

This seems to be the most comfortable sleep position, sometimes I just go on my side and say screw it.

The days after a long day in the computer chair are definitely the worst right now. I am looking for a job that gets me away from desk work. As soon as that happens I am out of there.
Dontbeamelvin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
astern (05-25-2019)