Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Kay,

I was so frustrated about the hospital.
She had been in the hospital for nearly 19-20 hours with no decent meds.

One list of meds a student in the Pharmacy Dept went over with her and me included what seemed to me crappy meds
like restoril, neurontin, . . .Eventually she got a couple that helped her sleep although she was struggling in her sleep.

=====
The MD had prescribed serious pain meds that she had at home.
He should have worked out whatever was necessary to get pain
pills to her while she was in the hospital.

That’s awful, Mari... that is not, and should not have been how things were done.

If your friend was admitted through the ER, which is most common, it’s not her personal doctor’s fault about the meds. ER docs can prescribe pain med, but the hospitalists usually don’t prescribe all a patient’s meds until they are admitted to a room, and they make the decisions about the orders.

If they had her med list, they knew what meds she was on, and could have simply called her doctor to verify he prescribed them, and told them they were necessary. Someone from his office would have been on call, and if not, the doctor would have been able to call back on his own WAY before 19-20hrs had passed if he was ever contacted. And depending on her medical conditions, that may not have even been/should not have been necessary. They could have prescribed different/less potent meds in the meantime, and advanced them if her pain was not under control. They took WAY TOO LONG to straighten things out and make sure she was comfortable

What a shitty hospital!!!

I feel so badly that she was suffering for so long, and I hope that she is getting better care now wherever she is. Of course being at home is best

Even though her brother is an A/H, I’m glad that you think that she will be taken care of well in a home with family (((HUGS)))

I hope that the brother gets back to you soon so that you don’t have to worry about where she is, and how she is doing
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (05-26-2019), mymorgy (05-26-2019)