View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 PM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default Hair Dye cause Seizures?

I had an interesting episode a week ago. I was dying my hair with ion hair color from Sallys Beauty Supply and working from home. I have used this hair color for years with no problem. Several hours after rinsing the color out, I was completely confused, seemed to have poor short term memory, did not recognize my own car in the driveway. I recognized people and knew enough to call someone. From there a barrage of tests ensued. Today I was told by the neurologist that I cannot drive because they thought it was a seizure and the overnight EEG showed slowing and sharp activity on the left temporal lobe. After a couple of days I felt fine but now am out of work because I need to drive for my job. I was prescribed a medication which I have not yet taken until I feel more sure about this diagnosis. It could be coincidence but I am not so sure. She said the hair dye would not cause the results from the EEG, but if hair dye causes seizures in some people, that seems to me it would show up in the EEG. Another thought was that I had been on Gabapentin for migraines. About a month prior I stopped gabapentin because it was not helping migrained but after a couple of months I was starting to have twitching in my left eye, elbow and leg. A week after stopping, the twitches ended. Pharmacist said that stopping the gabapentin even a month ago could have lowered my threshhold and caused me to have a seizure. I have no known history of seizures prior to this incident. Has anyone had experience or information related to this? The day I died my hair and the next day I have little to no memory of what happened and after that my memory and thought processes were fine. Thank you!
momzybaby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote