View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 08:52 PM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default Trying not to be angry

I've been married for a year and a half, and my husband's TBI was only correctly diagnosed a few months before our wedding. I didn't know what I was getting in to and I can't help but feel lied to. He didn't know about his vistibular imbalance either, because for a decade he just thought he had migraines, gritted his teeth, and plowed forward without properly seeking medical intervention.

Now he is finally addressing the underlying issue with medical care and physical therapies, which is good and I need to give him credit for doing so. The problem I am struggling with is that it feels like he uses his TBI as an excuse for bad behavior. Rationally, I understand that the TBI is a real reason, not an excuse. But on days like today when he leave a pile of laundry on the couch for days, but can go out drinking all day to celebrate Liverpool, I have a hard time understanding why TBI makes it so hard to do chores, but doesn't stop him from having fun. I get that today was a big big day in sports, and that he deserves to have a normal life celebrating something that he loves. I also know that he is paying double for the fun now, and very likely all day tomorrow, because of the TBI. The cost of fun is much higher for him. How do I not feel angry and resentful for leaving me with the sole responsibility of taking care of house and home, because he used all his energy making his choices with full knowledge of how much recovery would follow?

He budgeted the time/energy to have fun, but didn't budget the time/energy to finish his chore. I feel like I live with a child. Is this normal for TBI?
Chien Vert is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote