View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 10:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default To Kira

Kira,

I appreciate your comments. I have thought of these things-- for years now. I've stayed up nights pondering, have talked to everyone under the sun (including AB docs, PWD docs, and PWD docs in training). I've thought of the ways I'd adapt, and I've thought of my own physical stamina. My CP has been in flux over the past few years, but thanks to adaptations in mobility equipment and my own thought processes, I am stabilizing. I wouldn't go through with this until I felt resonably confident that I'd plateaued for a while or at least had the support system to deal with it if things change.

But the truth is, the pondering, what if's, and theorethicals only mean so much. I'll never know what I can and cannot do until I get there-- if I decide to get there. In terms of my physical functioning, I've gotten nothing but positive feedback from every doc I've spoken with. The physical ability is there, and it is my hope that the stamina will be there.

But again, I won't know unless I'm in the thick of it. Lots of people drop out of med school because they can't hack it, and the vast majority of them are AB. I taught myself how to walk after overhearing a doc tell my mom that I'd never do it, and no therapist should try it with me. If I can do that I'm sure I can find a way to adapt an OR rotation.

Congrats on getting your MPH. I did a dual MPH/MHSA 2 years ago while working full time. I did my dual MPH because I chickened out and decided not to apply to med school the first time around. However, it was one of the best experiences of my life. One of the greatest things about having it is that it adds breadth to your skillset so that if you no longer have the stamina to practice. So, if I go to med school and don't make it, I'll never be in limbo for a job-- my background is in policy, and Medicare will always need yet another person to save it.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.
NJenn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote