View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default Lyrica withdrawal too

Just posting this to document that I too had severe withdrawal problems from Lyrica, even with tapering over about three weeks. The symptoms started gradually while tapering off, worsened when I was completely off the medication, and kept worsening for the 2-3 weeks I was off it. But I didn’t realize the connection until the symptoms got really bad. I felt so bad that I thought I would die, and at first my doctors and I didn’t know what was wrong. I restarted the Lyrica and sure enough, the problems immediately disappeared. A few years later I tried once again to stop it, this time with even a much slower taper. I started gradually feeling the same bad symptoms long before stopping and with just a fairly small dose reduction, so reluctantly will stay on Lyrica forever.

It’s true that the vast majority of people apparently do not have this type of reaction. But I’ve read many other reports of the same types of reactions from a small percentage of people. BTW I have many of the same symptoms, just much milder, if I am a few hours late with a dose. I felt considerably worse with this withdrawal than on chemo for breast cancer.

It’s hard to put into words all of the symptoms I got, but here are at least some. This is how they get when really bad, when off the med for several days. They start milder and come on gradually:

No appetite, Upset stomach and/or nausea. Forced myself to eat as much as I could during the last couple weeks when it was severe. Without trying, I lost about 15 pounds in the two weeks off the med plus 10 more pounds in the previous 3 weeks while tapering. Got to my lowest weight since my early 20s.

Bad Headache; Much more than my usual pain in my neck and shoulders (This is where my pain is usually worst and where I have the most problems with my spine)
Couldn’t think/plan; fuzzy thinking; Mind basically blank; Certainly couldn’t work at my job that required concentration, high executive functioning and problem-solving
No energy, Mental or physical
Irritable
No desire or ability to engage in any social interaction, Even just conversation with my family
No desire to engage in any physical activity or to do anything, even low energy activities like read, watch TV, Check my phone for contact from my children or spouse, shower
Felt disconnected from reality
Couldn’t drive
Difficult to even go to the doctor with the help of a family member
Fatigue
Couldn’t do any type of chores, Even line up people to drive my kids

———
F/50
Laminectomy c3-c7; fusion c3-t1 2007 Due to congenital narrow spinal column, syrinx & DDD. Symptoms since 1988.
Cervical syringohydromyelia; cervical, lumbar, and thoracic spondylosis with myelopathy and neuropathy; cervical and lumbar stenosis
Breast cancer survivor (triple negative) 2018; BARD1 genetic mutation
Basal cell skin cancer twice 2008
Central pain syndrome
ME/CFS
Excessive daytime sleepiness
Recurrent iritis
Joint hypermobility syndrome
Tachycardia, Occasional arrhythmia
Vulvodynia
FMS?
IBS
Intercystial cystitis