View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 10:36 PM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default Long first post. Are these symptoms TOS?

So here’s the long story of my last six months for anyone with time and energy to help. Thank you in advance!

In late January I started noticing chest tightness and pressure, it increased quickly and within a few days I was in severe discomfort at least 85% of the day.
First visit to a fast clinic: Chest X-ray, d-dimer and EKG all look good.
Four days later I was sitting in floor playing with my daughter (with near ever present chest pressure) when I suddenly had a sensation radiate through my upper body. Hard to explain this sensation, it was like a radiating weakness, somewhat tingly, almost like a flood of relief (like if you almost fall but don’t), loss of grip and blurred vision. It lasted less than one minute. I went to the ER.
First visit to ER: they did the cardiac blood work, chest X-ray, EKG. I did have high blood pressure but nothing looked abnormal like any cardiac event (switched to plant based diet and no longer have high blood pressure) had happened. They told me to take care of my hypothyroidism (something I had been neglecting) because it could cause vasoconstriction.
I got back on thyroid medicine. The chest pressure, now accompanied by throat tightness continued. Some days it was present 50% of the day, some days it was 100%.
I was sent to cardiologist. I had another EKG, a stress test, 48 hour heart monitor and echocardiogram all within the next two months. Everything looked normal. My symptoms continued.
I was sent to gastroenterologist. I had upper endoscopy which came back with some inflammation but nothing notable. I was given proton pump inhibitor and instructed to take it for 14 days to see if it alleviated symptoms. By this time I had realized my only consistent relief was while lying flat on my back and my symptoms began within 10 minutes of being upright without ever eating or drinking in morning, so I felt there was no way it was acid related, but I finished the 14 day treatment anyway with no relief of symptoms.
I had the nerve-y sensation radiate through my body 4 more times in the last three months along with shortness of breath and left side neck pain, left shoulder blade pain and occasional headache.
At this point I was almost crazy with worry. I saw online something called cervical angina so last ditch effort I went to the chiropractor. He asked many questions and said “I’m pretty sure I know your problem and I know I can help. You have thoracic outlet syndrome.” He asked about things I’d never taken note of before, like how I woke up with my fourth and fifth finger numb often, how my left shoulder ached often and my left wrist and forearm burned often. I have experienced those things for a few years but just never worried about it. He told me it was all connected and we decided the high intensity workout program I began January 1 and continued until chest pain was bad around January 23 may be the culprit to the TOS presenting as chest pain. With xrays we also discovered I have mild scoliosis and have lost curve in neck from forward posture.
I’ve been going faithfully for six weeks. He’s a wonderful and caring doctor and I certainly feel better when I leave his office. I can physically feel the tightness in my left side of my neck and collar bone area so I know there’s a problem there. . HOWEVER I am not sure all of these symptoms are TOS or if it’s a “flare” like I’ve read about on here, how has it lasted six months? I’ve searched this site and others and I haven’t yet found many accounts of such prolonged, severe chest discomfort with TOS. And my symptoms are so often I can’t find what may be triggering them or making it all worse.

My daily symptoms that inhibit quality of life:
-Chest pressure (6-9 on a 10 scale) for the majority of the day mostly just left side of chest begins within 10 minutes of being upright and resolves almost fully within 10 minutes of lying flat on back.
-Shortness of breath
-Neck pain most just left side
-Feeing of being choked
-Left lower rib pain

Daily symptoms that take a back seat:
-Left shoulder ache
-Left elbow ache
-Left shoulder blade pain sharp

Weekly symptoms all left side:
-Burning feeling in armpit
-Numbness in 4th and 5th fingers
-wrist burning/pain
-Forearm pain

Has happened since January:
-Radiating nerve sensations
-Dizziness
-Fatigue
-Left side headache
-Left eye blurry vision
-Ringing in ears

Anyone have these symptoms? Anyone have tos present this way?
Jaug is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote