View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 06:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default generics are shamefully ineffective and potentially harmful

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
How do you do on JUST carbidopa/levodopa? have you talked to your neuro about this?

i have gotten "brain fog" from some generic c/l and 50/200ER and didn't try to work thru it, just switched back to my preferred generic. this happened when my independent pharmacy didn't order my preferred generic which back then was TEVA but unfortunately they don't make C/L anymore. i am using MYLAN now. i assume the brain fog is from fillers and/or colors used.
Hallo, Soccertease,

I remember you, I was once very active on the PD forums. but got distracted by poetry,, I have returned because of my struggle with generic meds, They dob't work. Some are even harmful, and we are powerless against them. I also took Teva C/L 25/100 for many yearsand was very satisfied with its effect. then Teva sold the drug to Maine, and the Maine c/l pills are a lottery, Some give me up to four hours of relief, some make my head hum very loudly and cause yawning and feeezing body temperature, some make my offs dramatic with major tremor and brain fog.
For a brief time I was able to get the original Sinemet, and I felt really well, but the manuf. can not keep up with the demand, so I must take Maine c/l again. I tried Rytary to very ill effect. I tried,, at my Dr.'s suggestion to increase my dosage of c/l, and I had strange and beautiful hallucinations. "I saw things".
I have also taken Requip for many years. I was given generic Ropimirole to save OptimRX money, and Mylan's version caused depression.I have contacted the food and drug admin.
I have contacted the different generic co.s to try to find out what could be done, for the situation is really intolerable, but no one seems to really care. There must be many of us pD'ers who think it is the disease that is causing their decline. th e doctors' answer is usually TAKE MORE MEDICINE, but in PD more medicine very often means more progression. At the right strength the right medicines can give us limited relief, the drug companies have it in their power to relieve our symptoms, and they choose to take the money and to let us down.
birte is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dan1000 (08-04-2019)