Thread: DBS, anxiety,
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 08:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves1 View Post
1/20/19 . Does DBS directly affect non-motor PD symptoms?
H
i- I am a 51-year-old physician-I was diagnosed with PD diagnosed 10 years ago. It has remained asymmetric and my “on” exam is the same as at diagnosis. Obviously, I am on much more medication-I take Entacapone every 2 1/2 hours, I have off periods which can be awful-lately for approximately30 minutes after I take the l-dopa—it is very dependent on my GI function. I do get bad foot dystonia approximately every 3 days, and most importantly, in large part due to my family dynamics, I have developed a severe anxiety disorder. I don’t jhave any significant dyskinesia. My motor guy recommended DBS- mostly because of the fact that I still have. Good exam at 10 years and no dystonia, though he definitely thinks I t will have a big effect on my anxiety/panic- which obviously makes my PD manifestations much worse! I have written that PD is the ideal example for the negative vicious cycle Since it is all connected in myriad ways-DBS has the potential to help my anxiety via less dystonia-less off-less meds; does anyone know if it can have any direct effects on mood or psychologic expressions of PD. The neurosurgeon that I had an initial consult with told me I could be completely sedated, and it has been shown to have identical results with an awake procedure! (though I liked this answer- I would think awake would be optimal. There is no doubt that the placebo effect is very active in PD and if I think that my support systems is my biggest problem-I wonder if it will be less efficacious. Also- exercise/weight training is a huge part of my life and mood. I am interested in people’s experience with how obtrusive the generator.is, -especially in the gym. In addition. i know that her is theoretically no difference in outcome between awake/anesthetized patients. does anyone have any insights into this?

Dave
Dear Dave,

I had DBS 2+ years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat! I was fortunate to have a very experienced surgeon who had done the procedure over 500 times with no deaths. I was anxious about the surgery but did it anyway. Sure glad I did. every couple of months I turn off the DBS and the tremors start again and am so thankful I had the DBS as I turn it back on and the tremors stop! Mine was done in the left side as I have right sided tremor. Apparently the left brain is where speech control is generally located and the surgery has affected my speech a little. I understand docs now know this and work to do surgery that doesn't affect speech, but suggest you talk to your doc about that.

Hope this helps,

Tim
zanpar321 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote