View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 10:41 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi apalooza,

Yes, with some patients it is typical for there to be significant swelling for several days after 10 teeth are extracted in the same arch and on the same day.

Do you have any autoimmune disorders? Diabetes, Celiac, Sjogren Syndrome, Lupus, Crohns, etc?

Did the dentist place any bone grafts? Did he suture the wounds closed?

Do you have any remaining teeth in your upper arch?
Are you wearing a full upper or partial denture? If so, how often are you wearing it? Are you keeping it clean without using chemical cleaners?

Are you eating hard or chewy foods?

Do you smoke? If so, you should know that the chemicals in the tobacco will increase the swelling of the tissue and could prolong the healing.

Do you drink alcohol? If so, you should know that the alcohol is very irritating to the gum tissue and will cause it to dry out and swell.

Are you rinsing with warm salt water 3-4 times a day? This is imperative and should be done until the wounds close completely.

Are you running a fever? Are you on antibiotics?

As I said, significant swelling is typical. However, some of the things I have mentioned can contribute to the swelling and prolong the healing.

When are you due to go back for a post operative check with the dentist?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalooza View Post
I had ten upper teeth extracted June 27th. My question is this, I am on day 8 post procedure. My gums both in front of extraction sites and behind are still quite uncomfortably swollen and tight though not really painful. It is giving me major anxiety and panic attacks. Is this swelling normal? I do not know how much longer I can take this perpetual state of anxiety.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote