View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi apalooza,

Given all the information that you have shared here, the swelling is normal, the open wounds are normal. It can take months for the swelling to completely subside and the holes to close. It really depends on the patients overall health, their diet and their lifestyle habits both pre and post op extractions.

Even when the swelling finally subsides, your gum tissue is likely going to be lumpy, not smooth. That is due to the likelihood that you had periodontal disease and you were a smoker which deprived the gum tissue of oxygen. Again that lumpy gum would be normal in your case. Once the actual swelling has subsided, then a general dentist or prosthodontist can evaluate you for a proper denture. Sometimes some of the gum tissue has to be trimmed to get a good fit, but not always. You'll cross that bridge when you come to it, if you come to it.

Due to the flap procedure to close off the surgical wound to the exposed sinus, correct, you cannot wear that denture. Don't even try. That area will take some time to heal and may require a bit of touch up surgery. But it's too early to tell. Again, try not to worry about that particular issue. Instead, put your thoughts and your energies into healing. Doing that will have a positive and profound affect on your emotional health.

Do you have pain? If not, stop taking the pain meds. I agree, taking advil long term is not good.

I am going to suggest 2 things, that you can try, to help reduce the swelling:

#1: Warm moist heat compresses. Moist Heat applied to the outside of the face at this stage of healing can encourage blood flow and decrease the swelling. If you have a microwave, perhaps you can purchase a heat pack from the drugstore, nuke it for a minute or until it is comfortably warm... not hot... and apply that to the outside of your face for 10 minutes, one side then the other. Do that 2-4 times a day for a few days.

#2: Homeopathic remedies are non toxic and very helpful. You can purchase them at some drug stores or health food stores. I will post a photo of the two containers this particular remedy comes in, in case you are not familiar with it.

ARNICA MONTANA 30C or 30 X: is a homeopathic remedy that can reduce dental swelling and pain. Take it as described on the container and every 4-6 hours as needed. You may see a big improvement with the swelling in a couple of days taking this as directed. At which time you would cut down the frequency to once per day for a week or more. Do not take homeopathic remedies with food, just pop the little pellets under the front of your tongue and let them dissolve. You can eat 30 minutes after you take it.

I know you are not eating much, but your diet plays a huge role in how well you heal. Some foods you can eat are apple sauce, MASHED potatoes and other vegetables as well as fruits like banana/watermelon/peaches, pears, unflavored yogurt, soup, broths, smoothies, milk shakes, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, hummus, oatmeal, even baked salmon which is soft. Just chew carefully, or gum the food :-), and rinse with warm water after you eat.

I do understand the level of anxiety you are describing. It is normal for many people to feel exactly the way that you do. But with all due respect, you have to take some measures to help yourself because your oral surgeon is not going to offer you much other than a drug, and the ER will only do the same.

Regarding your denture.... I understand that the state insurance paid for the immediate denture and they only allow benefits towards ONE denture. However, if you have not worn it and it turns out that it cannot be modified to fit properly, then you can file a claim with them stating that you were told by the OS not to wear it due to the flap procedure and now it is not able to be modified. You have a legitimate claim and your OS should also write up a letter confirming this to be true. With a bit of persistence, you will likely be entitled to a new denture benefit. However, please don't worry about that right now... focus on your healing first.

I understand, I have worked with countless dental patients over the last 40 years.... this is a tough time for you, and there will be a few hurdles to get over, but you are going to be okay.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalooza View Post
Bryanna Hello again and thank you so much for your time and information. You have been very helpful. The oral surgeon said no to my immediates because he had to suture cheek fat or buccal flap..over the extraction site that had the sinus communication. the immediate would not have fit over. Though he never told me a thing. It wasnt until the day after extractions when I went in as an emergency (it was a false alarm)..that I saw his colleague who told me absolutly no denture for at least two weeks.

Im on day 10 post extraction now. I do not think I am healing correctly. My gums are still quite swollen and I still have open holes the front teeth extraction sites seem to be the largest. I saw my oral surgeon on 5 days post extraction he said two more weeks .. Because I am not a spring chicken. But i do not see any real improvement since. Perhaps it happens underneath where I can not see. My next appointment with My OS is July 18th ..11 days from now. I am not able to talk to him about my panic and anxiety..he just does not listen I have tried and tried.

I am not really taking the tramadol it does not help. I can not continue the advil much longer. I have been taking it for 10 days now. Im not doing anything for tobacco withdrawl just one day at time but I am over the hump on that now. I am ten days post extraction, I still have open extraction sites my gums are still swollen the same .. no better no worse They feel large to the point that my mouth feels like I am wearing a hockey puck but I am wearing nothing not even my dentures which at this point I don't know If I will ever get to wear.

I panic all the time I wake up from sleeping in a panic. These attacks have me feeling very disassociated I cant sleep I barley eat I cry all the time. I did see my OS the 2nd at my 5 days post op but like I said I see no improvement. I know my mouth has been through trauma but shouldn't it be somewhat better by now?
Attached Thumbnails
Swollen gums  days after full upper extractions-arnica-montana-30c-jpg   Swollen gums  days after full upper extractions-arnica-montana-30x-jpg  

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote