View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 04:08 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Hi Bryanna,

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I'm taking a daily probiotic and eating at least two servings of greek yogurt per day.

So, I went to see my Oral Surgeon yesterday. They identified the OAC - right behind the "12 year molar". They said it was about the size of ball point pen head. I'm guessing it is certinaly <= 2mm, so a good candidate for self-healing.

They tried to add some material of some sort to the area to help promote closing. That material came out today, and I'm still getting discharge - but it is absolutely way less than what I experiencing on Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday before going to see the Oral Surgeon, I noticed that the discharge was quite a bit less.

They noted the discharge and told me it was normal sinus drainage. Nothing purulent about it. No smell, etc. Therefore no need to culture. They also switched my antibiotic to Penicilin 500mg 4 times daily.

I happened to have an appointment with my ENT today, so I asked her to look at it and evaluate my sinus infection.

She felt like nothing crazy was going, but she did culture for aerobic, anaerobic, and fungal infections. She cultured the general are of the OAC and extraction site. I'm a bit worried the material they had placed my make the culture less effective (the material didn't come out until this afternoon). She also switched me to Augmentin 875 twice daily (my fourth different antibiotic since this fun has started).

At this point, I can definetly say that I feel better than I have throughout this process. I'm just a bit worried that I still have some soreness/pain/pressure in the jaw bone and sinus, and that the OAC hasn't spontaneously healed yet. I'm on day 12.

What do you think? Normal to be sore still after a "rough" extraction (I'm in my mid 40s) and for the OAC to still be open? They did mention it looked like the OAC was trying to close up.

Thanks again for your original reply and thanks for your help!
Duwath is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote