View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Duwath Duwath is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Duwath Duwath is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7

Thanks again for your helpful reply!

Symptoms are again reduced this morning. Feels like I've certainly turned the corner!

I'm glad to hear the soreness, pain, and pressure are normal for this stage of the healing. That was my remaining concern.

Yes, I've got a note excusing me from work through 7/15 and grounding me from flying. My employer was very understanding and had directed me to cancel my trip as soon as I let them know about the situation on Monday. So, no flying next week.

Again, thank you for your time and thoughtful replies. I (and I am sure others over the years here on this forum) found your advice and input a calming influence when dealing with this situation.

Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Duwath,

Glad to hear that they located the OAC. Yes, that is small and likely to heal on it's own.

The reduction in your symptoms is a good sign!

The soreness, pain and pressure in the jaw bone and sinus is normal at this stage and should become less and less with each day.

Just a note... the result of the culture that the ENT took may be a bit skewed due to the antibiotics you've been taking.

Definitely continue with the probiotic daily and for at least 4-6 weeks after the end of this antibiotic. I personally take a probiotic daily just for overall health.

Did you ask about flying across country?


QUOTE=Duwath;1277438]Hi Bryanna,

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I'm taking a daily probiotic and eating at least two servings of greek yogurt per day.

So, I went to see my Oral Surgeon yesterday. They identified the OAC - right behind the "12 year molar". They said it was about the size of ball point pen head. I'm guessing it is certinaly <= 2mm, so a good candidate for self-healing.

They tried to add some material of some sort to the area to help promote closing. That material came out today, and I'm still getting discharge - but it is absolutely way less than what I experiencing on Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday before going to see the Oral Surgeon, I noticed that the discharge was quite a bit less.

They noted the discharge and told me it was normal sinus drainage. Nothing purulent about it. No smell, etc. Therefore no need to culture. They also switched my antibiotic to Penicilin 500mg 4 times daily.

I happened to have an appointment with my ENT today, so I asked her to look at it and evaluate my sinus infection.

She felt like nothing crazy was going, but she did culture for aerobic, anaerobic, and fungal infections. She cultured the general are of the OAC and extraction site. I'm a bit worried the material they had placed my make the culture less effective (the material didn't come out until this afternoon). She also switched me to Augmentin 875 twice daily (my fourth different antibiotic since this fun has started).

At this point, I can definetly say that I feel better than I have throughout this process. I'm just a bit worried that I still have some soreness/pain/pressure in the jaw bone and sinus, and that the OAC hasn't spontaneously healed yet. I'm on day 12.

What do you think? Normal to be sore still after a "rough" extraction (I'm in my mid 40s) and for the OAC to still be open? They did mention it looked like the OAC was trying to close up.

Thanks again for your original reply and thanks for your help!
Duwath is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bryanna (07-11-2019)