View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Gypsy,

Do you have any teeth in that quadrant of your mouth that are root canaled? Or that have large restorations or crowns?

When you saw the oral surgeon, did he take xrays or a panorex xray? Did he say if the OAC had closed or not? Did he remark about your sinuses at all?

Did he tap on the biting surface of the remaining teeth in that quadrant?

Do you have sinus problems, congestion, pressure, allergies?

Do you take an antihistamine frequently?

Has your general dentist checked your bite to see if your occlusion is not lined up? The occlusion should be checked with the patient lying down in the chair AND then with the patient sitting upright in the chair. Not just lying down.

How old is your mouth guard, was it made in a dental lab?

Are you aware if you clench your teeth during the day? Many night clenchers are unaware that they clench during the day. If your occlusion is lined up properly, then you need to seek ways other than dentistry to help reduce the clenching habit which is often stress related. Acupuncture, meditation, yoga, tapping, and other mind/body/spirit therapies can be helpful.

There is a condition called Burning Mouth Syndrome in which the tongue might feel scalded. Some of the reasons for BMS are: geographic tongue which can cause a dry mouth and the tongue may feel scalded or sore; thrush which is an oral yeast infection; diabetes; lupus; allergy or sensitivity to an ingredient in toothpaste like triclosan, sodium laurel sulfate, a bleaching agent, a preservative; any medications that can contribute to dry mouth can make it feel like the tongue is burning. It is important to take a look at all of those things and eliminate their possibilities with certainty.

A brief list of meds that can contribute to dry mouth. When taken frequently they will cause dry mouth. Taken from a quick google search:
** drugs that treat depression, high blood pressure and anxiety, as well as some antihistamines, decongestants, muscle relaxants and pain medications.

I hope you are able to get to the root cause of these symptoms and remedy them quickly.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy7684 View Post
I had posted a while back my oro antral communication healed. About a month later I began having pressure on that side of the roof of my mouth - a lot of pressure. It throbs and sometimes will go on all day. Then it gets better, and I may feel nothing. Also, my tongue feels scalded. I have been back to the oral surgeon and he is having some issues diagnosing this and has been working with my general dentist. I do clench my teeth in my sleep (I have a mouth guard), wondering if this has anything to do with it. Has anyone heard of this and have any experience.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote