View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi hermom.
Yes. It's highly possible that her eyes are very irritated from all the eye blinking or other eye movements if that's what she's doing. Hard to say. I take it that her eyes don't look infected or that she's not had this problem before. She might find it comforting to lie down with a nice wet and cool or warm (depending on what feels better to her) facewasher or facecloth over her eyes.

I have heard of people using a product called artificial tears or something similar. I think it's mainly normal saline but it puts moisture back onto the surface of the eye so that every time they tic then it's not as irritating. Even though her eyes might appear watery, it's possible that they're dry. I know that from wearing contact lenses. They'll water when they're irritated and dry and putting the drops in will help.

My son had a lot of different eye tics over the years and the blinking made it really hard to focus and to read but they did settle down in time. If she's got lots of eye blinking tics and she's having trouble concentrating on reading it's helpful to use a card or a ruler to follow the lines. Then when all the blinking is going on, it's not as difficult to find ones place again. My son had one eye in particular that really bothered him for ages and he wanted to keep something over his eye to give it a rest. Sometimes at home he would wear a little soft eye patch firmly placed over his eye to keep it rested for a while. It was just that feeling of pressure that seemed to relieve the irritation.

If you're concerned you should ask your doctor to check that she doesn't have an eye infection. It is probably the increase in her eye tics, but it's working checking especially as she's not been well recently.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote