Thread: Pirenzepine
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytobehere View Post
Is Pirenzepine available in the united states ? None of the pharmacies seem to know about it. If one could get Pirenzepine from another source does any one know where directions could be found to compound it into a cream ? I found a pharmacy that offered to compound oxybutynin (another drug in the Pirenzepine family) into a trans dermal cream but does anyone think a pharmacies compounded oxybutynin cream would actually work. I'm currently taking the oral version of oxybutynin and it seems to be having a positive effect on my Peripheral neuropathy but oral has a lot more side effects. But I would like to try the trans dermal cream version of Pirenzepine as it would be going directly to the nerve endings in my hands .
Thanks for any and all help on this subject.
You should be looking for Oxytrol. It is a transdermal patch used for bladder spasms. I am trying it right now with interesting results. I have less numbness / improved sensation in numb area of feet, more skin wrinkling in water with my hands ( improvement in autonomic neuropathy), more tingling in neuropathic areas (maybe Tinel's sign for regenerating axons).

It is a bit of a mixed bag though because I still experience stinging pains and the electrical pains. However, I just read a paper that said that these pains occur with regenerating axons because of changes in the number of sodium channels. The issue appears that continuous neuropathic pain is an ongoing regeneration process that never succeeds in fully reinnervating the tissue. Ironically enough the people who just develop numbness without pain have a less healthy peripheral nervous system because no regeneration is going on. They just lose nerves and go totally numb. The people who have pain going on have regeneration happening but the regeneration is overwhelmed by the neuropathic disease process. Some researchers are trying out drugs to turn off the regeneration process to bring relief to people with pain where there is no hope for successful regeneration. Personally, I would be reluctant to use it.
mhw69 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
northerngal (08-19-2019)