Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I have to say even though this is my calling its so nice to get paid to
do it. I have no regrets that I left behind the field of computer programming
for this. I always have loved this field. Just never could handle the
science field to get a degree in elementary education. I was in that too
at IUK for a while after leaving high school.

I spent a semester to a year helping a young fourth grader learn to read.
He had a cleft plate ? spelling. Anyway he didn't learn to talk till 4 1/2 or
5. And I was assigned to help with a class I was taking, after the class I continued. So then I was still helping, and he got assigned the biggest talking part in Paul Bunyan the play. They are assigned on a Friday got their parts, we were going to start on Monday, Me helping him learn his part. We had like 4 weeks to learn it. he came back on Monday, had learned his part memorized it over the weekend. It was amazing. The teacher, I and the reading teacher were all amazed. The teacher, had almost taken the part away. I had told her to wait, I thought I could work with him and get him to learn at least enough to get by. Well he had other plans. We were all happy. And his mother came to the play, and he had asked specifically for me to come. She told me how he memorized it. And why, that he wanted to show us all he could do it. And I told her, I had planned to help him. But he had made my job so much easier, and how proud I was to get a personal invitation from him to the play. Even though I had planned to come. She said, he had made it to bring it to me personally.

That he enjoyed the time we spent together, that he thought I was helping him a lot. And she thanked, me. Said, no one else had ever cared enough to try. It really made my day.

Donna
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (07-20-2019), BlueMoon1950 (07-23-2019), mymorgy (07-20-2019), OhKay (07-21-2019)