View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 01:44 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member
Default Medicaid/Medicare/Extra Help/Early termination of policy

This is really odd. I just found out that my state is paying part for my monthly Medicare health insurance premium as part of full Medicaid and Extra Help, doing this since April this year.

I had received a notice in March that I was denied full Medicaid and Extra Help, because my monthly income exceeded the allowable limits.

So, I called Medicare yesterday. Medicare said I had full Medicaid benefits and Extra Help.

Called Social Security Administration. SS said I had no Medicaid benefits nor Extra Help.

Called State Medicaid office and they said I never qualified for Medicaid or Extra Help. I told them that they were paying my monthly premiums, they said they had no record of doing this.

Called my medicare advantage health plan and they said that Medicare was paying my health insurance premium since April, 2019

Called my case worker for the state and she looked into my file and said my case was never completed, there were alot of clerical errors done and she was going to have to re-evaluate everything to figure out what is going wrong. She will call me back later on this afternoon.

Originally I wanted out of my Medicare Advantage plan because most providers and hospitals have dropped this plan and my psych doc wanted me to go into Partial Hospital for stabilization and medication change, which I was not allowed as all the hospitals in my area have dropped this particular contract.

I called Medicare to see if I qualified for a special election plan to get out of this plan. They instructed me to call my Medicare Advantage plan to get permission to get out. My Medicare Advantage plan wrote me back and told me I did not qualify for the Special Election plan and yet this plan knew I had benefits from Medicaid and Extra Help. As long as I have Extra Help, I qualify to get out of the plan thru a Special Election Process.

Now, if it comes down to the fact that the state withdraws it's monthly contribution because I do not qualify for Medicaid or Extra Help, after their re-evaluation, then I will still get the Special Election Plan because I was forced out of Extra Help. Then I can go forward with getting out of this Medicare Advantage Plan and take out a Supplemental Plan + Part D and get into Partial Hospitalization in August. I have already applied for the Supplemental Plan anyway just to get the ball rolling for August.

The remaining part that is out of my control is that I now have to go thru medical underwriting, with the new supplemental plan. If they find I have 2 or more medical issues, they will increase my monthly premium 3X which I could never afford. If that happens, I will have two choices... one to stay with my current deficient Medicare Advantage plan or go straight Medicare + Part D and pay the out of pocket 20%.

Sigh.................... I should know something this afternoon. What a can or worms.

Blue
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brokenfriend (07-23-2019), Dmom3005 (07-23-2019)