View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 09:36 AM
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Newly Joined

3 yr Member
Default Peripheral Neuropathy Possible Small Fiber

Hello everyone!

I am diagnosed With small fiber neuropathy (without biopsy because my insurance will not cover.) My symptoms include buzzing on my legs and arms, sometimes my lower abdomen. I have Benign Fasciculation Syndrome which pings/twitches me on my legs and arms (mostly legs) at rest. Sometimes the BFS are in the same place for less than a minute but mostly they are not. I feel a sensation of electric shocks on my fingers, between my toes and under my feet
I have had extensive blood work. My FBS was 91 mg/dl. (I have polycystic ovarian disease.) My initial Vit B12 level in June was 212 ng/nl and Vit B12 injections were started. All of my other blood work done for polyneuropathy was normal. MRI of the head was normal. My EMG and NVC were normal. However my physician said I have carpal tunnel, in addition to the SFN, and injected my wrists.

My questions are:

1. Does insulin resistance cause SFN if you have a high normal FBS?

2. Does a VIT B12 level in the low 200s cause SFN? If so, how long does it take for the symptoms to abate if the deficiency is corrected?

3. I am on gabapentin 300mg in the morning and afternoon, 600 mg at night. It helps a little...is the dose too low?

4. I started alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl-Lcarnitine. Do either of these medications help and how long does it take for them to have an effect? If so, what dosage do you use? Is there a different supplement or treatment that you use that is effective?

5. Is there another medication that I should request from my physician that works for you?

6. Finally, should I seek a second opinion at Cleveland clinic or John Hopkins University?

Thanks all!

Sherry
SherryW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote