View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 AM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Hey guys, it's been a while. I promised myself that if I ever got better, I would come back and provide an update. It's been about three months since the onset of my symptoms, and I'm finally starting to notice improvement. For the last couple of months, I had been driving myself crazy by researching my symptoms on these forums and other communities.

I recently had an EMG/NCS that came back negative. I couldn't believe it. I was sure I had large fiber damage, and given the severity of my symptoms, it should've been 100% conclusive. During this time, I reached some pretty dark places and considered self-harm. I have taken alot of time off work, and have isolated myself from friends and family. I thought my life was over.

I read on here how most people's neurologists were doubters and would toss anxiety diagnoses like it was candy. My final diagnosis was anxiety, which I refused to accept at first. However, I recently began seeing a therapist, and was diagnosed with OCD. As of now, my best guess is that I had a disassociative episode that was ignited by my cannabis use. I never knew what these psychological conditions were, but knew I had OCD tendencies in the past. At first, I doubted this, however soon after, I noticed marked improvement (typing this for example has become way easier than a month or so ago ).

At one point, I self-diagnosed myself with the most extreme neuropathies, which resulted in me being in a dark place for a while. Trust me, all my symptoms felt real. Everything. I was never one to worry about my health, so I was sure something was up. I'm not a complainer and rarely ever would deal with medical issues. The symptoms felt absolutely real, even now I still have some strange sensations on my arm. However, I realized that this was an issue with my perception, not my actual senses, which depersonalization and OCD will do. I've had OCD attacks in the past (thought I was homosexual for a year and also had severe insomnia/sleep anxiety). I never thought OCD could manifest itself physically, which shocked me. I was 100% sure my life was over, done with. But in this case, I'm still alive and well.

There wasn't much information online from people who shared my symptoms. I started believing that I was the rarest case ever, or that I had some unknown disease. The lack of information terrified me, and I was so sure that it was something bad (we always assume the worst when posters don't provide updates, etc.) I just wanted to share this in case anyone ever experiences this in the future. There is hope, and be strong. Sometimes the mind and brain can be extremely powerful, and it'll take an inhuman amount of patience to see things through. For now, this is farewell Neurotalk; this is a great community and has helped me through the most difficult situation in my life. Thank you.
Atxlaker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
janieg (12-20-2019)