View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 03:01 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Hello all.

I thought I would start an ongoing detail of my journey from beginning to until? I suspect the PN is from moderate/heavy social alcohol use over many years. The first symptom was thumb twitching a year or so ago. Then in early April of this year (2019) after having 10 beers the night before, I awoke to tingling in my left hand. This then progressed to the classic "pins, needles and tingling" in my hands, skin crawling just above my left ankle and light-headedness.

I suspected PN from the beginning based on internet searches and dramatically scaled back alcohol use. The diagnosis was confirmed recently by my Neurologist after a EMG test (he said nothing other than "mild neuropathy") .

I was in denial at first and tried to just reduce the alcohol consumption significantly, but there has been no noticeable improvement and very slight progression over the past 4 1/2 months. After an appointment with my doctor on Friday, I have decided to get serious about trying to get better (although I know there is no guarantee of this with PN). Detailed below are some details about me and my recovery plan that I will be tracking on the forum. Any other help or recommendations would be really appreciated!

* 53 year old male in good health with healthy diet and vigorous exercise 4 times a week. Had a colectomy/IRA in 2007 but recovered quickly and no issues since 2007 with that.

* A1C in the "pre diabetic" zone, but not diagnosed a diabetic (we tested this to begin with).

* Stopping all alcohol use (two days in now).

* Starting a vitamin supplementation regimen recommended by mrsD and Icehouse on this site that includes the following daily:
-Centrum Silver
- Doctor's Best Benfotiamine (150 mg), Vegetable Capsules, 120-Count
- Jarrow Formulations Jarrow B-right Complex, 100 Capsules

Thanks again and I hope everyone is having a great weekend.
Ctman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Icehouse (08-19-2019), PamelaJune (09-02-2019)