View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 09:20 PM

3 yr Member

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by On_A_Freeway View Post
Hi CTman, sounds like you are making good decisions and are heading in a good direction. Cutting back alcohol is the first thing I was told to tackle. I unfortunately was too deep into my addiction cycle, and did not listen. Two more years of on and off drinking made it much worse. Nothing I can do about it now though aside to just learn from it.

For me exercise is key, and it seems that you have that covered. I find that starting off the morning with something that gets my blood flowing sets me up for a much better day than not.

I also moved to a no sugar, low carb diet. This is also something I find keeps the pain on the lower end of the spectrum of what I experience. Might not be for everyone, but I ran it by my doctor and his feedback was that I should keep doing whatever I was doing because my numbers were great after a couple of months. Since I am part of communities that focus on low carb, no sugar lifestyle, I read about a lot of people reversing their diabetes all the time. Perhaps it's something to look into, while keeping your Dr in the loop.

Great work on the no drinking part of it. That was very difficult to me and is where my focus was at first. Because if I didn't get that right, it was going to be impossible to make any progress in the other area's. Once that was under control I was able to start making progress with diet and fitness. While I am not as physically capable as I would like to be as a result of neuropathy, it has forced me to improve my lifestyle in many other ways, and has given me a perspective on life that I would never have gotten without it. So almost a blessing and a curse. Overall, 16 months in, life has gotten much much better though.

I think it's a great sign that the feedback from the DR was mild neuropathy. I would stay away from a drink at all costs, be easy on yourself and see how things are over a few months down the line and see if any other adjustments can help. This is a great community with a wealth of knowledge. I researched Alcoholic / PN for two years until I stumbled on this site and it's where I found the most info out of anywhere, DR visits included.
Thanks so much for the advice and words of encouragement. Giving up drinking is the toughest thing ever...I feel as if I have lost my best friend and the only thing I looked forward too every day. I hope it gets easier (3 days in...a lifetime to go).
Ctman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (09-02-2019)