View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 01:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Welcome, Craig

I thought that I would like to "weigh in" on this topic, Craig. I am the carepartner to a pwp, and I just want to share with you how she handled the work situation hoping that it could help you. She...as with you...didn't know whether or not to confide in her employer(s) that she had PD...and the more she "stressed" over this, the more her symptom (primarily, tremor) became obvious. She decided to be "up front" with not only her employer(s), but also with her coworkers. Just that decision, alone, lifted such a heavy burden for her, and as a result, her predominant symptom (tremor) lessened. She, too, use to feel embarrassed...thinking everyone was conscious of her tremor, etc. UNTIL I pointed out to her that people have a lot more to do than to watch her tremor! My pwp works for an ear/nose/throat doctor/surgeon which requires her to assist him in office procedures where she has to use her hands all the time...either to provide necessary surgical instruments and/or to hold various parts of the patients' bodies while the doctor is working on them. I tell you this because this is a very difficult position for her to be and she has given much thought as to whether or not she's becoming a burden to her doctor and to all in the office. I want to tell you..nothing could be further from the truth because ALL...and I mean ALL of the people in her office setting have been and are so aware of my pwp's PD...simply because she made sure that they knew. There isn't anything they wouldn't do to help her, although my pwp still refuses any help, and I guess if/when she feels that she needs help, rather than accept it, she will probably make the decision to stop working...such is her nature...not to be a burden to anyone else. I know I have rambled, here, Craig...and of course, I am quite aware that not everyone is as fortunate to be in a workplace such as I've described. Only you know if things could "work" similarly for you in your particular office setting. I guess I just wanted to give you some possible "positives" about your continuing to work. I know for certain that it is best for my pwp to be at work right now rather than to sit home thinking about her PD. While she is working, she MUST focus on something else...someone else...and this gives her the very much needed distraction. I hope I've been able to help rather than to hinder you, Craig..good luck with whatever decision you make.

Therese
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote