View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 01:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Tis the Season!!

Hi Vanessa--

I was coming on today to post about this same subject! In the past week, both of my daughter's big toes have had symptoms of ingrown toenails. My other daughter a few years ago has had surgery on both of her big toes for ingrown nails so I can help with what to do--I was just wondering if this is a common thing with RSD as it has happened before .

First, make sure your shoes fit really well and keep your nails trimmed--the straighter the edge, the better.

Soak your feet in epsom salt and warm water at least three times a day and gently pull the soften nail up after each soak. My daughter adds essential oils-lavendar and tea tree oil to the water. We put Neosporin on it after each soak which will help with the infection. You may need to get an antibiotic for it. They also have an ear--yep an ear drop that you put on it after surgery to keep the infection and pain down.

A podiatrist is the dr you might want to talk to, but with RSD, probably check with your main dr. Our podiatrist was more interested in the RSD than the toenail! Also, because of the RSD, we really took the slower road of soaking etc than surgery. Keep a close eye on it because infection can get nasty.

Good luck!