Thread: Getting better
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 03:01 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Getting better

I have experienced a significant improvement recently (after 3 years of PCS). I am writing this so that others know that improvements are possible even years after an injury, and to make sure that this website also has some more positive stories from time to time.

Most of my progress pertains to the physical symptoms. I am now able to do 3 hour-hikes without any problem, while 6 months ago any form of exercise was impossible. My headaches are gone most of the time. I am feeling more energetic. I am less sensitive to jolts, jarring, car rides etc. (although this is still a problem).

My cognitive issues have also improved a bit (less brain fog). I am in general feeling less anxious after minor hits and jolts - this was a huge issue before, but I had so many small relapses that my body and mind finally learned not to overrract.

I am not sure what to attribute this progress too, but I felt that the following things made a difference:

- walking at least an hour a day - it was difficult at first but I got some strength and stamina back quickly and it also did wonders for my mood. We have known since Hippocrates that walking is a good medicine, and recent research suggests that exercising below symptoms promotes recovery. I made sure to use very well cushioned shoes to minimize jarring.

- accepting that some of my issues were a combination of PCS and depression (brain fog, fatigue), and addressing the latter.

I hope this can help and/or give hope to some of you.
Vania
Vania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote